Well it has been a hot minute since my last post…my bad. To be honest I have been a little distracted lately with my first semester of law school, but now I feel like I have a system down and I can put more focus back on the blog.
For my first post back I decided to reflect on this past year. Now I know 2016 isn’t over yet, but November is my birthday month and last year I made a post of 25 things to do before I turn 25. In the post I laid out 25 things that I wanted to do and unfortunately I didn’t finish the list. I did complete most of the list, but life happened. My interests, priories, and mindset shifted and instead of resisting the change just to complete my list I embraced it and learned a lot along the way.
This year was life changing. I experienced extreme ups and extreme downs. I was accepted and started law school, moved across the country, made new friends, and lost one of the most important men in my life. Looking back on this year I realized how much I have grown as a person throughout this year. The purpose of creating the 25 before 25 list was to force me out of my comfort zone and grow as a person. I didn’t complete the lsit but I definitely achieved the purpose.
Even though I got out of my comfort zone and grow as a person I also realized that there is still a laundry list of things I want to accomplish and there still thousands of ways for me to grow. So, I have decided to continue this journey but to alter it slightly.
This year there won’t be a list of things to do. Instead I plan to focus each month on some area of my life that I want to improve and follow 5 simple rules throughout the year. If you have ever read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin then this concept is probably familiar to you. If you haven’t read the book then I highly recommend you do, it is one of my favorites.
Not only am I planning to focus each month on a different area of my life and following 5 rules for the year but I plan on sharing more of the journey with you. So be sure subscribe to the blog and my Youtube channel and follow me on social media. I am so excited to get started with this new chapter and before I officially end the posts I thought I would share the 5 rules for this year.
- Be honest with yourself and others every day, all day
- Stop apologizing for the things that you enjoy. You can choose what you do not what you enjoy so what is the point in apologizing.
- Stop making things harder than they need to be. It is a waste of time and energy. Ask for help when you need it and avoid procrastinating.
- Stop comparing yourself to others and stop judging them. You don’t know what their journey is like and they don’t know yours.
- Smile every day, for any reason and as much as possible. You don’t get a metal at the end of your life for being serious or more miserable than everyone else.